Self-portrait at the Easel, 1532
From Wiki: “Sofonisba Anguissola (also spelled Anguisciola) (c. 1532 – November 16, 1625) was an Italian painter of the Renaissance.
Sofonisba Anguissola was born in Cremona, Lombardy around 1532, the oldest of seven children, six of whom were daughters. Her father, Amilcare Anguissola, was a member of the Genoese minor nobility. Sofonisba’s mother, Bianca Ponzone, was also of an affluent family of noble background.
Her aristocratic father made sure that Sofonisba and her sisters received a well-rounded education that included the fine arts. Anguissola was fourteen years old when her father sent her with her sister Elena to study with Bernardino Campi, a respected portrait and religious painter of the Lombard school, also from Cremona, Sofonisba’s home town. When Campi moved to another city, Sofonisba continued her studies with the painter Bernardino Gatti (known as Il Sojaro). Sofonisba’s apprenticeship with local painters set a precedent for women to be accepted as students of art.
Dates are uncertain, but Anguissola probably continued her studies under Gatti for about three years (1551–1553).
Sophonisba’s most important early work is Bernardino Campi Painting Sofonisba Anguissola (c. 1550 Pinacoteca Nazionale, Siena). The double portrait depicts her art teacher in the act of painting a portrait of her.
In 1554, at age twenty-two, Sofonisba traveled to Rome, where she spent her time sketching various scenes and people. While in Rome, she met Michelangelo through the help of another painter who knew her work well. Meeting Michelangelo was a great honor for Sofonisba and she had the benefit of being informally trained by the great master.
When he made a request for her to draw a weeping boy, Sofonisba drew ‘Child bitten by a crab’ and sent it back to Michelangelo, who immediately recognized her talent (this sketch would continue to be discussed and copied for the next fifty years among artists and the aristocracy).
Michelangelo subsequently gave Anguissola sketches from his notebooks to draw in her own style and offered advice on the results. For at least two years Sofonisba continued this informal study, receiving substantial guidance from Michelangelo.
Experiences as a female artist
Although Sofonisba enjoyed much more encouragement and support than the average woman of her day, her social class did not allow her to transcend the constraints of her sex. Without the possibility of studying anatomy or drawing from life (it was considered unacceptable for a lady to view nudes), she could not undertake the complex multi-figure compositions required for large-scale religious or history paintings.
Instead, she searched for possibilities of a new style of portraiture, with subjects set in informal ways. Self-portraits and members of her own family were her most frequent subjects, as seen in such paintings as Self-Portrait (1554, Kunsthistoriches Museum, Vienna), The Chess Game (1555, Muzeum Narodowe, Poznań), that depicts three of her sisters Lucia, Minerva and Europa, and Portrait of Amilcare, Minerva and Asdrubale Anguissola (c. 1557-1558, Nivaagaards Malerisambling, Niva, Denmark).” via: wiki
Self-portrait with Bernardino Campi, 1550
- lucialovewriting likes this
- fallingcheshires likes this
- stunt-muppet likes this
- carlosluceroca reblogged this from plinytheyounger
- plinycapybara likes this
- vouksen likes this
- plinytheyounger reblogged this from gazeofawoman
- projectimeline reblogged this from artemisdreaming
- gazeofawoman reblogged this from artemisdreaming
- looking-at-the-creators reblogged this from alainrichert
- ahetaton likes this
- re-white likes this
- femchef reblogged this from clodia-metelli
- auroramere likes this
- amyfieldmouse reblogged this from artemisdreaming
- amyfieldmouse likes this
- clodia-metelli reblogged this from artemisdreaming
- selenitic likes this
- mutoun reblogged this from theantidote
- alyssamallone reblogged this from theantidote
- toccata-carpimusnoctem reblogged this from lady-coyote
- apeshit-sixfingers likes this
- ryall- reblogged this from theantidote
- ryall- likes this
- lisawhitehare likes this
- khaleesibeyonce likes this
- taco-man-andre reblogged this from schall-platten
- taco-man-andre likes this
- schall-platten reblogged this from pomulev
- franswazz reblogged this from catherinewillis
- tesslives likes this
- craigswanson likes this
- darkleanan likes this
- dianeling likes this
- woolf37 likes this
- woolf37 reblogged this from theantidote
- izanimus likes this
- gasponce likes this
- lady-coyote reblogged this from theantidote
- lady-coyote likes this
- burgzimmer likes this
- theantidote reblogged this from catherinewillis and added:
- ruthhalbert reblogged this from catherinewillis
- frangis45 likes this
- eiriartea likes this
- toseethesummersky likes this
- catherinewillis reblogged this from alainrichert
- byhapnstance reblogged this from artemisdreaming
- thalattamythos likes this
- pandaemoniumpancakes likes this